Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Not just any Hollywood role for Daniel Wu & Jackie Chan


Do you know me? I'm going to be a BIG Hollywood STAR, DUH!!

Source: Channel News Asia



With box office hits like “Shanghai Noon”, “Shanghai Knights” and the “Rush Hour” franchise, there's no doubt that Jackie Chan is one of the most sought after Asian actors in Hollywood.

But the kung fu star revealed that while the money is good, he dislikes those action slapstick comedy roles he often plays and is disappointed that he is not able to get away from them.

Referring to his new Hong Kong film “Shinjuku Incident” in which he plays a refugee who escapes to Japan and gets hounded by the yakuza, Chan said, “Hollywood would never pay me that kind of money and spend hundreds of millions making this kind of film. Robert De Niro, yes... but not Jackie Chan.”

Chan’s "Shinjuku Incident" co-star, Daniel Wu, agreed that the role is very important.

Like many Asian actors, the American-born actor said that he too is keen on breaking into Hollywood but he will not take on just any role that comes his way, it's got to be "on my own terms".

“It’s different because I’m not superstar Jackie Chan, and I think being an Asian American, growing up in the States is different because I’m tired of the stereotypes, tired of seeing the nerd Chinese guy or the gangster Chinese guy on TV. And they’re still doing that," he told Channel NewsAsia.

"When Jackie goes, he’s going as Jackie Chan, when I go, I’m going as an actor and I don’t want to be pushing that stereotype.


De Niro? What? Jackie Chan has become a joke. He wants greater roles but never waited for them, he took the money to make crap like Shanghai Noon and Rush Hour. He's got no credibility left. Chow Yun Fat recently said that he's accepted his role in Hollywood as a typecast actor and will pretty much take any work that comes his way. Must be the reason he's in the dreadful Dragon Ball Evolution. But I accept that. Chow Yun Fat was pretty much typecast in Asia anyways, Jackie Chan is good at what he does, stick to it or go away. Do we really want to see Jackie Chan in a De Niro role? That's an insult.

And Daniel Wu? Who the fuck are you? I would bet most people reading this wouldn't know. You are in no position to be choosy. I've seen him and he's one of the worst actors of this generation. His performances in movies like The Banquet and Twins Effect were a disgrace to HK cinema. He can't speak either Cantonese or English properly. There are many many Asian actors who Hollywood knows about and have even asked some to come over but they have not cause the roles are not good enough. They didn't just take money and be a fool like Jackie Chan.

Here are 10 actors in no particular order with amazing resumes.

Stephen Chow
Tony Leung
Andy Lau
Takeshi Kaneshiro
Chang Chen
Anthony Wong
Francis Ng
Louis Koo
Jay Chou
Leon Lai

I didn't include Jet Li or Ken Watanabe who have already influenced Hollywood.

I didn't include Japanese or Korean stars cause I'm not that familiar with them.

Daniel Wu thinks he can crack Hollywood cause he's "Asian-American"? That's foolhardy. There are many many Asian-American stars already like Daniel Day Kim or Masi Oka or John Cho. Fuck, Daniel Wu isn't even worthy enough to carry Bobby Lee's shoes! The list is endless.

I can think of literally 50 Asian actors better than Daniel Wu. He's got no chance so he really get his head out of his ass and go away.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I AM AN OLD LADY IN THE MIDWEST PART OF U.S.A.-WISCONSIN TO BE EXACT. I FIND DANIEL WU TO BE A VERY GOOD ACTOR, NOT TO MENTION EXTREMELY HANDSOME/SEXY WHAT EVER YOU WANT TO CALL IT. SO ANYONE WHO SAYS HE'S NOT TALENTED, CAN ANSWER TO ME!

Degenerasian said...

No matter how loud you yell, he still sucks! Worst actor in Asia.

Anonymous said...

I don't think he sucks! Someone said, "no one even knows who he is!" Well, I am here to say I do, and I come from a small city. I even have his movies. Daniel you are one fine actor and not hard to look at either!! I have seen a lot of talented actors before and Daniel ranks high on my list. So chill, my friend. Anonymous? No. My name is Joni and I am an admirer of talent and brilliance such as Daniel's as i recognize it when I see it.

Anonymous said...

I love Daniel Wu too , especially in Love Undercover

Anonymous said...

I think Wu is talking more about not taking hollywood roles that perpetuate negative asian stereotypes. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I've only seen him in One Nite in Mongkok which I thought was a really good film.

I agree about Jackie Chan though.

vid