Friday, May 15, 2009

Indian dad avoids washing for 35 years








Bathing in the Ganges River, an Indian tradition

Source: Google



An Indian man who fathered seven daughters has not washed for 35 years in an apparent attempt to ensure his next child is a boy, newspapers reported.

Kailash "Kalau" Singh replaces bathing and brushing his teeth with a "fire bath" every evening when he stands on one leg beside a bonfire, smokes marijuana and says prayers to Lord Shiva, according to the Hindustan Times.

"It's just like using water to take a bath," Kalau was reported as saying. "A fire bath helps kill germs and infection in the body."

Kalau, 63, from a village outside the holy city of Varanasi, outraged his family by refusing to take a ritual dip in the river Ganges even after his brother died five years ago.

"I still don't remember how it all began," he said in Saturday's edition of the paper. "I just know it started about 35 years ago."

Kalau's hygiene regime has taken its toll on his professional life.

.....more





That's just GROSS!

However the story does bring up this issue. Why is it that all the Indian families I know have more daughters than sons and all the Chinese families I know have more daughters than sons. I know a Lebanese family with 8 daughters.

What causes this? Is is genetics? Is it superstition? I know Chinese women eat certain foods or pray alot when they plan to be pregnant and hope to have a boy? Does it work?

Me? I want a baby girl. So I can dress her up and play with her hair. I can't do much with a boy :)

No comments: