Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Unheralded Taiwanese player Lu upsets Nalbandian


Source: AP

Yen-hsun Lu had barely walked off the court at Melbourne Park on Wednesday after one of his biggest career wins when his mobile phone started ringing.

"I picked up the phone and my friends were calling to congratulate me," Lu said. "I could tell they were all happy for me."

His friends back in Taiwan had good reason to be excited.

Lu, whose previous biggest win was a first-round upset of Britain's Andy Murray at last year's Beijing Olympics, pulled off a marathon upset of 10th-seeded David Nalbandian in the second round at the Australian Open.

Lu beat the 2002 Wimbledon finalist 6-4, 5-7, 4-6, 6-4, 6-2 in a match just short of four hours, marking the first time in 12 Grand Slams that the 25-year-old Lu has advanced past the second round.


The first upset in the first major of the year goes to Taiwanese star Yen-hsun Lu. I caught the 4th and 5th sets late last night (I couldn't get much sleep). Usually when an underdog wins the 1st set but drops the next 2 sets against a seeded player, he goes away pretty quickly. But Lu fought off many break points and held on to a famous 5 set victory. Next up is Spanish veteran and 24th seed Tommy Robredo.


---

EDIT: Lu got destroyed by Robredo 6-1, 6-3, 6-2.

No comments: