Saturday, June 6, 2009

Green Tea Coca Cola!


Source: SF Gate




Forget "Classic" or "New" Coke. In Japan, you can soon have your cola flavored with green tea or basil.

Green tea-flavored Coca-Cola will hit Japanese stores June 8, Coca Cola (Japan) Co. spokesman Katsuya Sato said Thursday. It contains tea antioxidants called catechins, leaves a slight green tea aftertaste and is mainly targeted at health-conscious women in their 20s and 30s, Sato said.

"We wanted to cater to people who are looking for something that tastes good but is also good for health and beauty," he said.

Coca Cola is the leader in Japan's cola market but faces stiff competition from non-carbonated bottled drinks such as tea, coffee and fruit juices.

Rival Pepsi Cola is countering with another exotic cola - Japanese basil-flavored "Pepsi Shiso," which hits stores in late June.


Too many variations. I still like Coke Classic! Green tea is bad enough on it's own, let alone combined with coke.

4 comments:

Roger Williams said...

For a second I read that as "Pepsi Seishi" ("Pepsi Jizz") and thought, "christ, even in Japan that can't be right ... "

Degenerasian said...

Roger: You've got a dirty mind :)

Jake Lunde said...

Sadly I am certain that I want one liter of this for just a taste, but even worse I think I will have to hit ebay for it, unless you know a great import type thing for me *hint hint*

Degenerasian said...

Jack: I think ebay is probably the fastest way. If it's a hit it'll be in America in no time. There's green tea everything these days.

I drank a green tea/tangerine mix today!