Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Miss Hong Kong: Me No Speak English


Source: Asian Fanatics Forum



Miss Hong Kong's slogan has always been "Beautiful and Intelligent". But earlier the girls that turned up for the auditions were below standard. Apple Daily received an English e-mail from a contestant that attended the first interview named Lucy. She stated that the judges treated her poorly. The judges suggested her English was below standard which she found unfair. In the email she used the words "Hurt Die Me". The Co-ordinating manager for the pageant Chan Ka Yeung denied and said "Definitley not, the company will always pay attention to courtesy. Perhaps the contestant didn't get through the next round and was unhappy about it."

TVB executive Virginia Lok also denied treating the contestants poorly. She said "6 Contestants are grouped together to face the judges in the first interview. Normally we just ask them very general questions such as "Why do you want to enter Miss Hong Kong?" and "Which part of your body do you like most or dislike? We will see what reaction and answers they give us. Perhaps the contestant was too nervous."

Lucy's E-mail

The Contestant's e-mail contained a lot of Hong Kong English (港式英語),

我是 Lucy, I went to Miss Hong Kong first interview. Wah d judges very not polite and not nice law. Today I see a megazine saying this year's Girls so ugly. I saw many good and pretty girls there but they didn't choose ja ma. Don't choose mei suen law but the judge in first interview -- most very not polite to many young girls and to to me law. I only 18 the judges ask me to "why join Miss HK go and why not study la u only F7 ja wor how can fright with other wor." Also say my English bad … hurt die me.
Ho La, other girl tell me la, she study in University ok ga dou but little fat or short then the judge (woman) said " why you look fat or so short!" wah ho hurt ga ma.
One girl is a 博 士 student ar very high level and very nice ga dou cant get in second interview la. We think she will be in ga but she said no law. You can search her pic and my pic to see la. She gum high level duo ng dak, gum me ng duk duo rite gei but i think the whole choosing is not fair law, choose model mei? young yao inch', high study level yao inch, short yao inch … They onky choose rich girl law so bad.
We don't go and let them inch ga law if they need tall or high level people then why not put in the application form lei.
Waste time !
dou ng fair gei!
u can email me if u want.
Lucy


I've got a headache. Was this letter to prove her English was good and the judges were unfair?

HURT DIE ME!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

maybe this girl is a gong nui and she is not treated like a goong ju for the first time so she is very "hurt". But that's ok, nothing an el-o-vee can't fix.

Nguy said...

Holy balls! That takes Engrish to a whole new level. I think my brain just exploaded.

Anonymous said...

I love the 'el-o-vee' comment! class!

Anyway I am thinking of applying this year's MHK but I'm seriously worried that I might be a little chubby. Will need to +oil at the gym.