Tuesday, December 16, 2008
It took me 2 hours to get home from work today.
After 2 days of -30C temperatures it warmed up to -15 today and snowed for about 2 hours at lunchtime. This caused all hell to break loose. People in this winter city cannot fucking drive in the winter.
1) Calgary police responded to over 180 collisions and another 20 injury accidents by 4:00 p.m.
2) Nobody has snow tires so everyone's going 5 miles an hour trying not to slide.
3) City of Calgary decided not to go out there replenishing the sand that they put down over the weekend, at the stop lights everything has been polished down now into a sheet of ice.
4) Nobody knows where they're going. They realize they have to go across 3 lanes to get to the next exit while everyone else is gridlocked.
5) Only crazy people will venture out into this without a good reason to like grandmas driving around in minivans doing their Christmas shopping during rush hour.
6) A few cars were not making it up the hill
7) Yesterday I watched four vehicles (SUVs and trucks) miss our corner and slide into our sidewalk or onto our front lawn simply because they were going too fast.
This is fucking insane. People today cannot drive. This is not even a bad winter day. I've lived here all my life. It's certainly been much colder than this before (We've hit -45 before). It's certainly snowed more than this before. But I've never seen traffic jams like this. And we still have 2 months to go.